Our Saviour Evangelical Lutheran Church Applied for Historic Status in 1992
Application for registration on the National Register of Historic Buildings was not recomended by the Maryland Historical Trust
According to the information presented by Baltimore County and John McGrain, Baltimore County Landmarks Preservation Commission, this Gothic style Church constructed in 1929 with an education wing added in 1954 does not meet the criteria for individual listin in the National Register of Historic Placed. Although the community in which the church is located does include some railroad workers' housing dating from the 1890s, the architecture includes a mixture of recently built split-levels and colonials as well as older bungalows. Lansdowne is not an architecturally homogeneous community that would be eligible for the National Register as a historic district.
From the application for historic listingGeographic Region: Piedmont - Baltimore County.
Chronological Period: Industrial/Urban - A.D. 1870-1930.
Historic Period Themes:
Architrecture, Landscape Architecture, Community Planning, and Religion.
Historic Environment: Suburban;
Historic Function: Church.
Our Saviour Evangelical Lutheran Church - 1929 - 143 Lavern Avenue, Lansdowne. Well designed Gothic Revival church in Butler quarry quartzite. White limestone tracery around the main doors. Slate roofing. Shallow buttresses. Amber glass lancet windows. Attached on the south is a Tudor Revival school building with a 1954 inscription. The church replaces a frame structure built in 1891. The original congregation held services in both German and English.